Monday, March 18, 2013

Quesadillas with Pesto?

What? Quesadillas with pesto? Well, I like quesadillas and I really like pesto, and somewhere on the interwebs someone offered advice to add pesto to a quesadilla, so this recipe came about as an experiment of sorts. They were pretty good as far as quesadillas go. I was expecting some kind of huge revelation wherein I would exclaim, "My God! Pesto in quesadillas is AMAZING!" but, not so much. They were good, worth a try, but nothing spectacular. I'm posting what I did so you can try it out on your own and let me know what you think, if you have any suggestions, etc. So, here we go!

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp cooking oil (I use olive oil)
  • 2 small zucchinis, halved and thinly sliced (you can remove the seeds if you like)
  • 8 oz of white mushrooms, scrubbed and sliced
  • 3-4 green onions, sliced
  • 1 jalepeno, seeded and sliced
  • 1/2 -3/4 cup pesto
  • 4 oz muenster cheese
  • 1 package whole wheat wraps

Cooking:


  1. Preparation is fairly simple. When your ingredients are all set, heat your oil on mid-high heat. Put the jalepeno in first, for about 1 or 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and mushrooms and stir occasionally for about 6 or 7 minutes, or until the mushrooms are starting to brown and the zucchini softens.
  2. Stir in the pesto and green onions and remove from heat.
  3. In a large skillet, heat a tortilla over medium heat. Take some of the muenster cheese and spread it around the tortilla. When it starts to melt, put a scoop of the veggies (about 1/2 a cup) and spread it onto one half of the tortilla. Fold the other side of the tortilla over the veggies, flip after about 1 minute and cook the other side for an additional minute, or until the tortilla is toasted and brown.
  4. Put the prepared quesadillas in a warm oven until you are ready to serve and continue making them until you have used all the filling ingredients.
  5. Cut into triangles, and serve.
  6. Enjoy!

Notes:

  • These were pretty good. A nice, quick option for  a weeknight dinner. Plus, quesadillas are typically mostly cheese with little nutritional value, but I liked that the pesto and veggies were really the focus of these.
  • Usually we would eat quesadillas with sour cream or salsa, but I don't think these would fair well with that. The pesto wouldn't be tasty with salsa, but the jalepeno and green onion wouldn't be tasty with an Italian "condiment" like marinara or dipping oil. They just are what they are with what they have.
  • I'm not sold on the muenster cheese...I think a more pungent cheese would be a better choice, like maybe Asiago, or even Gorgonzola. Adding sun-dried tomatoes might be what they need, now that I'm considering it!
These are good enough that they will be worth making again, maybe just re-thinking the ingredients a little bit. I'll update when I try it again in a little while! After all, there is just so much food to make and try...I can't be tied down to the same old, same old. :)

-Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment